Changing Tourist to Non O Visa

Changing Tourist to Non – O Visa at Phitsanulok Immigration


Documents required in getting a Non-Immigrant O or dependent visa in Thailand can vary depending at which office you’re processing it. Some immigration offices require a letter from your employer stating your relationship to the person applying for a visa. Others, on the other hand, may not require it all. 

Allow me to tell you this personal account on how we obtained a Non-Immigrant O in Phitsanulok for my mom and my mom-in-law.

My mom and my mother-in-law entered Thailand on August 24. We want them to stay longer than the 30-day stamp officers give at the airport. So two weeks before they arrive, I paid the immigration office in Phitsanulok a visit to ask them of the documents required in getting a Non-O.

We were told there should be at least 15 days remaining on a tourist visa before it expires in order to change it to Non-Immigrant O. Therefore, a less than 15 days remaining on the stamp signals an exit to Laos to have the visa changed. 

So days after obtaining all the necessary documents, we all visited the immigration office. The officer checked every single document like there was no room for mistake. When things were clear, my mom and my mom-in-law signed every single document and paid 2,000 baht each. There was no stamp yet, just the receipt of the amount we paid for each. We were asked to come back on the 22nd of September for the new visa stamp (the 22nd was the expiration of their tourist visa given at the airport).

The required documents are as follows:

Copy of my employment certificate (1 original and 1 copy)
Copy of my work permit’s front page (2 sets)
Birth certificate with red ribbon (1 original and 1 copy)
Front page copy of my mother’s passport (2 sets)
Copy of my passport; front page and all the stamps (2 sets)
Copy of my mother’s departure card (2 sets)
Photos of my mother (2 sets)
Copy of the house registration or the blue book (2 sets) and
Copy of my landlady’s ID card (2 sets)

I hope the list I made may help you if you’re thinking of changing your family member’s visa or your visa from tourist to Non-O. But let me just remind you again that this situation happened in Phitsanulok Immigration. Other officers in another province or even in Bangkok may require more or less of the documents mentioned above. Good luck!

PS: My mom already received the Non-immigrant O which will expire on the date mine will.

Facebook Comments